Monday, October 25, 2010

Letter Pp- so many ideas

Of course the main letter Pp idea this week is PUMPKINS.  We started off the week harvesting plastic pumpkins to take to our farmers market ( pretend of course)  Tomorrow our school holds a pumpkin patch for the kids and it is alot of fun.  We will be doing many activities incorporating pumpkins.  One of my favorite is a math activity that I got from a friend a couple of years ago.  We will have two die cut pumpkins for our paper.  We will roll dice and glue ___ number of seeds on our first pumpkin.  We will roll the dice again for the  second pumpkin.  Then we will add the 2  sets of seeds and write the number.  Yes my 4 year old class is quite capable of counting seeds for addition.  In fact they really like adding numbers together. 

We also will be doing things with pizza ( like having a pizza party on Thursday).  I made a math game a few years ago by cutting 4 brown circles for the pizza pie, strips of yellow for cheese, white little mushroom shapes, green strips for pepper, and red circles for pepperonis.  ;( sadly I lost my original which was not a dice game but just a recognition of numbers game.  They had to put 1 mushroom, 2 bell pepper, 3 cheese strips and 4 pepperonis.  Since I lost my original we will be rolling the dice to find out how many of each topping and writing that number on a piece of paper.



Also I found some very cute pumpkin poems on a website last week.  I will post the website later along with some more and pictures of the week.  LOT'S OF FUN AHEAD!!!!!  The website for the pumpkin and fall poems is www.teachers.net.  I did not see the cutest poem that I found on that sight and cannot find it to post the resource but have included the poem below.
One day I found two pumpkin seeds.I planted one and pulled the weeds.

It sprouted roots and a big, long vine.

A pumpkin grew; I called it mine.
The pumpkin was quite round and fat
(I really am quite proud of that.)

But there is something I'll admit

That has me worried just a bit.

I ate the other seed, you see.

Now will it grow inside of me? (I'm so relieved since I have foundThat pumpkins only grow in the ground!)

ON A SIDE NOTE:  Staples has some dollar bins I discovered today.  I bought several packs of plastic paper clips to use as a linking pattern activity.  Hey, Plastic Paperclips begins with Pp.  We have another math activity