Monday, October 18, 2010

FALL the SEASON

It is fall and while there are not many colorful leaves yet were are learning about the season this week in our class room.  We did the most fun art ever, and I don't know where I saw the idea.  We covered our table in butcher paper, and I had gather leaves from my trees ( the biggest leaves I could find).  Each child picked 3 leaves and they were taped vein side up to the butcher paper.  The children were then allowed to paint the leaves, we used red, yellow and orange paint.  They then layed manilla paper on top and used playdough rollers ( the one with the one handle was best), and rolled over the paper to make sure they covered all of their leave territory.  The painting was a surprise to see after they lifted the paper.  Paint, rolling and surprises, all things that preschool children love.  It looked like so much fun I really wanted a turn, but wo is me I had to teach another group of children while my assistant had all the fun.  I highly recommend this for moms, teachers and anyone with a little creative spirit, even scrapbookers and cardmakers can get into the mix.  the vein detail was great and it was so much fun. 
Foot note:  don't wait until dark to hunt for leaves, because there are lots of spiders hanging around after dark. My clothes were covered in spider webs, but don't worry none got me :) 
Tomorrow more fun fall activities, I may post every day.......