Saturday, January 1, 2011

Wintertime fun

As we get ready to head back to class, I get excited once again to share my favorite collection of Wintertime ideas.  Check my last years January blog for our trashbag snowmen.  This year I am trying some new things as well as using some of my old favorites. A great game to use during these units is a game called Thin ice. I have seen two versions, and I think mine may be an older version, but the children pick up marbles with game tongs (great fine motor exercise}and place on a piece o tissue that is held tight in a hoop.  The goal is to see how many marbles it takes to break the ice.  It is a great resource to use with older preschool children needing those fine motor muscles to be getting strong. 
There are many games that help with motor skills along with learning how to communicate, and share with each other. Children with speech delays, or other auditory issues gain so much from the interaction in a good game.  If you don't have access to games make your own by purchasing some dice.
Snow man building game
 Have the children take turns rolling the dice, rather than giving each child their own.
 Let them build a snow man.  You can either just draw picture of different parts ( eye, nose, mouth etc) and have them place those on a pre-printed snowman, or you could have them roll for the snow balls. They would have to roll a 1, 2 or 3.  and if they had rolled a 2 they would have to roll a 1 to finish up their snowman before starting on the parts.   As I am thinking about this I have seen so many cute little decorated snowmen, why couldn't they roll and make that cute little snow man to keep.
  A game and craft all in one.  Love that multi tasking...just sayin....
All this said, I am ready to get back to work and play with my little friends.