Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Reminder of being Thankful


My Daughter had posted our thankful tree from Thanksgiving last year on her Face book page. It reminded me to share and idea for families. Every year for many years I have made thankful trees with my class with leaves that have the things they are thankful for written on them. Several years ago, I thought why have I never done this at home with my own children. My own children are grown now, but it was not too late to share with grandchildren. We have added leaves every year for 2 or 3 years now. I can't wait until the tree is so full of leaves from many years of family sharing what we are thankful for.
I set out to find the right twig and pot to put the twig in. I cemented the twig in the pot and die cut many fall colored leaves and a couple of turkeys for my grandsons.
On the pot I wrote the Bible vs. "Give thanks to God for he is good, his unfailing love endures forever" Psalms 107:1. Everyone celebrating thanksgiving with us adds a leaf. We change houses for Thanksgiving so the tree travels with us. For at least a minute each person stops and thinks of one blessing for that year. It makes a great table decoration and now I have shared with my family something I have shared with little children for so many years.