Saturday, November 6, 2010

Letter Fun for letter Nn

We did alot of Letter Nn things like string noodles for necklaces, and finding letter Nns in the news paper this week.   The children in my classroom are becoming excellent letter detectives. We have a detective sheet every week, but this week I handed them a small piece of the newspaper. They had to find 5 letter Nns



 Every week we are letter detectives and trace letters that we place on the wall. I usually place 4-5 copies all around the room. We use pointers, fly swatters with a window cut out, and sometimes clearance drink stir sticks. Anything I can find that I think would make a good letter detective tools I buy and keep a good collection of tracers.   That is my favorite time filler. They finish snack and trace the letter of the week until it is time to go to the next activity.  It's a time filler---transition--- a way to learn and play and keep moving (probably the most important part for preschool children)
My team has a share an idea time at the beginning of our year and we make and take activities that we like to use in our class.  One of the ladies had a new letter detective idea which is so easy and cool.  We took file folders and opened them up and wrote random upper and lower case letters or stamped them all over the inside on both sides of the manilla file folder.  You can put several of each letter so you can use which every letter of the week you choose to do the spying.  We made little spy glasses by curving the end of a pipe cleaner to make a circle to use like a looking glass.  I have not used mine much but what a great idea.  Inexpensive and very easy. 
I also like the letter detective where you have an alphabet row, and cover a few letters up randomly on the poster or whatever you use for your alphabet.  The children have to spy what letters are missing.